Pages

Thursday, June 28

Thirsty Thursday: July 4th Cocktails

3 comments
July 4th is coming up, and I'm sorry to say it's on a Wednesday this year. WHICH, I shouldn't complain about having a day off, but I will go ahead and do so because I wish the holiday fell on a non-Wednesday like normal* so I would get a long weekend.  w/e.

This year, we're taking my gramma (lovingly nicknamed the "old bag"**) out for her birthday Tuesday night, to get this day off started right.  Wednesday we'll probs frequent the local parade, and jump in the pool.

My mom, Josie, is great with cocktail time. She is always ready and waiting for me to say "is it time?" and she is ON it.  I should mention I won't be featuring any blue drinks below.  I'm not really a fan of having my mouth turn blue like I'm a four year old... Sorry I'm not sorry.  These are my three favorite ideas for a killer fourth cocktail:

1. Wine Spritzer.  Whether you use white wine or red, or even a rose, get ON it.  It's super easy, so you have no excuse. Just mix the wine with a club soda or even a fresca, and you can even throw in a melon ball of your choosing.  My gramma (the old bag) has a little melon scooper that she uses for watermelon and canetelope.  Cutesie!

-1/2+ part wine
-1/2- part soda
-fruit to add some flavor/garnish




2. Vodka Soda.  Listen, don't judge it! It goes down easy, and it won't treat you badly the next day, AND it's low cal.  I told you that I wasn't going to have some snooty blue drink featured.  Spruce your soda up with some fruit: watermelon (see old bag reference w/ melon scooper), lime, lemon, orange...or all!  I also enjoy this with Hendricks Gin since it has a nice cucumber tone to it.
-1/4 part gin/vodka
-3/4 part soda (they also make light tonic)
-fruit to garnish/flavor
3. Moscow Mule.  Now I believe I've mentioned my love for ginger beer, and above my love for vodka, so why not marry the two together?  This drink is utterly refreshing, and has been around since the 40s.  I actually found this video how to which is great, mostly because he has a british accent.  I will tell you I've made it the easy way, starting with already made ginger beer, and I've also made it from scratch. Go ahead and take the easy road.  Now if I can just get my hands on the signature glass...
-1 3/4 oz vodka
-1/2 oz lime juice
-ginger beer
-lime wedge and fresh mint for garnish


Enjoy!

*granted, in my 5 years of employment (so not that long), it's been the norm for the holiday to fall on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday.  In the case that it falls on Tuesday or Thursday, my job has given us Monday/Friday off.  Hel-lo four day weekend!  Makes for a perfect time to take a trip! Alas, this year, I'll be staying local, but making the most of it.

**look, she came up with the nickname herself. Don't judge me for going along with it!

3 Responses so far

  1. KatieH says:

    I love the nickname!

  2. Unknown says:

    Tequila and soda with lime. Or, even better, with grapefruit.
    So so so so so so so good.
    But do yourself a favor and get some good tequila before attempting this drink. No Jimmy Buffet "Margaretaville" brand abhoration.

  3. Julie says:

    Just went and bought ginger beer last night to make a moscow mule - SO good! Although I'm still a fan of the refreshing vodka/soda best...Or tequila and fresca - AMAZING. Thanks for getting me to try something new!

Leave a Reply

Labels